- 1965, Ph.D. – Microbiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- 1962, M.S. – Biochemistry, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- 1951, B.S. - Chemistry, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN
- Dr. Shugart is president of LR Shugart & Associates, Inc., a consulting firm established in 1995 to provide the scientific community knowledge and expertise in genetic ecotoxicology, a rapidly developing discipline in the environmental sciences arena. In addition he is an adjunct Associate Professor of both the University of Tennessee’s Center of Environmental Biotechnology and The Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. From 1965 through 1996 he was a Senior Research Staff Member and Group Leader in the Environmental Sciences Division at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory where he was involved with biological monitoring activities associated with environmental remediation and restoration. Dr. Shugart's professional training is in biochemistry and his research interests are concerned with elucidating the cellular mechanisms of environmental genotoxicants. He is considered an established authority on the use of the Biomarker Approach for evaluating the effects of contaminants on the health of environmental species and has conducted extensive research on the chemical modification of macromolecules by environmental contaminants on fish, rodents, and humans. His studies have focused on the development of new methodologies for quantifying the interaction of genotoxicants with DNA and proteins and he has published over one hundred articles in the peer-reviewed, scientific literature on such topics as protein biosynthesis, mechanisms of enzyme action, nucleic acid biochemistry, and the effect of genotoxicants on living organisms. He is the current and founding Editor-in-Chief of the international scientific journal Ecotoxicology, a member of the editorial board of Biomarkers and an Associate Editor for the 2nd edition of the Encyclopedia of Toxicology. He has serves as a Consultant to the Science Advisory Board of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and as a Scientific Assistant to the Deputy Assistant To Secretary of Defense for Nuclear and Chemical and Biological Matters/Counter Proliferation. Dr. Shugart served as a Line Officer in the U.S. Navy and is a veteran of the Korean Conflict.
- American Chemical Society, 1962
- Sigma Xi, 1965
- American Society of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, 1972
- Society of Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry, 1987
Selected Publications: (Books and Book Chapters)
- Shugart, L.R., C.W. Theodorakis, A.M. Bickham and J.W. Bickham. Chapter 41. Genetic effects of contaminant exposure and potential impacts on animal populations. In: Handbook of Ecotoxicology, 2nd ed., D.J. Hoffman, G.A. Rattner, G.A. Burton, Jr., and J Cairns, Jr., Eds. CRC Press, 2003, pp1129-1148.
- Peakall, D.B. and L.R. Shugart. Biomarkers. In: Encyclopedia of Environmental Analysis and Remediation, R.A. Meyers, Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, N.Y., 1998, pp. 732-755.
- Theodorakis, C.W., and L.R. Shugart. Chapter 7. Natural Selection in Contaminated Environments: A Case Study Using RAPD Genotypes. In: Genetics and Ecotoxicology, Forbes, V.E., Ed., Taylor & Francis Publishers, Philadelphia, 1998, pp. 123-149.
- Shugart, L.R. Chapter 11. Application of the Alkaline Unwinding Assay to Detect Strand Breaks in Aquatic Species. In: Techniques in Aquatic Toxicology, G.K. Ostrander, Ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1996, pp 205-218